University history


"SUAI is one of the worlds leading educational and

research institutes in the field of aerospace, computer

and intelligent control systems, it makes a great contribution

to the development of national higher education

and science. For decades, the graduates of the University

have been determining the image of aerospace and

instrumentation industries."

G.S .Poltavchenko,

Governor of St. Petersburg, SUAI graduate,

Chairman of the SUAI Supervisory Board

  • January 25, 1941 - the Leningrad Aviation Institute (LAI) was founded on the former premises of Leningrad Road Institute (at Gastello Street, 15) by the Decree of the Soviet government. 1200 students were enrolled in three faculties of Aircraft Construction, Instrumentation and Motor Building. During the Great Patriotic War the Institute operated an aircraft and tank repair shop. Over 400 LAI students and faculty joined the volunteer corps. In August 1941 the Institute community formed the 68th Fighter Battalion to become heroic city defenders.

(Fedor P. Kataev, rector LAI and LIAP 1941-1952)

  • October 1945 - studies were resumed at the Institute, which was renamed Leningrad Institute of Aviation Instrumentation (LIAI). Two faculties were formed: the Faculty of Instrumentation and the Faculty of Radio Engineering.

lai3.jpg  lai1.jpg  lai2.jpg  

  • In 1950s the enrollment rose to as many as 3000 accompanied by the staff growths. Postgraduate programs were initiated.
  • 1960 - the building at Bolshaya Morskaya street, 67, was given to the Institute to meet the demand in larger educational facilities.
  • 1961-1962 reorganization of the faculties. The Faculty of Computing and RadioElectronic Systems was made a separate unit (former within the Faculty of Radio Engineering). The Faculty of Instrumentation was divided into the Faculty of Instruments and the Faculty of Flying Vehicles Automation.
  • 1962 - Faculty of part-time education was founded.
  • 1963 - Faculty of Electronic Devices and Computer Techniques was added to the University structure.
  • 1969 - Courses for retraining and skill improvement for engineers and lecturers were founded.
  • 1970 - Preliminary department and preliminary courses for university applicants were founded.
  • 1980 The enrollment increased 6000. With significant amount of the research work, the Institute structure included 7 faculties with 32 departments.

In the 1980s new development strategy was developed. Two student hostels were added, the number of PhDs among the teaching staff increased, research expanded, new specialties were introduced.

  • 1991  Faculty of Humanities was formed.
  • 1992 - Leningrad Institute of Aviation Instrumentation was renamed into the State Academy of Aerospace Instrumentation (SAAI).
  • In the 1990s the Universitys international activity started with cooperation, joint programs and research projects with the universities of the USA, the UK, France, Belgium, China, Germany, Japan and other countries.
  • 1998 - the Academy obtained the status of University following the Decision by the Board of the Ministry of General and Professional Education. The University received its current name of the Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation (SUAI).
  • 1999  The UNESCO Department on Distant Education in Engineering was founded.
  • 1999 Anatoly A. Ovodenko was elected the Rector of SUAI.
  • 2006 The University held a 65thanniversary celebration at the St. Petersburg Ice Palace to give rise to the tradition of ambitious alumni gatherings.
  • 2011 - The University celebrated its 70th anniversary and the 50th anniversary of the first human space flight. 9000 graduates joined the celebration at the St. Petersburg Ice Palace.
  • 2014 The University Rector became Yulia A. Antokhina, a SUAI graduate of 1999. Anatoly A. Ovodenko was elected the University President.